Saturday, December 30, 2017

ROAD TO BOULDER



It's on.

The road to Ironman Boulder officially started for me on December 30. The endurance event
is just 160 days away and there is a lot of training to be done.

This will be my fifth Ironman race, having already completed three in Lake Placid and one
in Mont-Tremblant, Quebec

Boulder will be entirely different from the previous locations. There is the Mile-High air and
the distance which will force me to fly to an Ironman event for the very first time.

It's something I said I'd never do, but I've always wanted  to see Boulder and this seemed like
a good way to do it.

Day 1 of training was pretty easy for me. I braved the elements (sub-freezing temperatures and
a snowfall) to complete a four-mile run.

There is something magical in running in a winter wonderland. It's so calm and peaceful,
which alleviates some of the boredom that usually comes with a semi-long jog.

I worked out with weights as well, concentrating on my legs and abs. Making a point to
bomb my legs for the race. Need all the strength I can get to get through the 112-mile journey through the Rocky Mountains.

Once again, I have some weight to lose. I did last year's race in Quebec at about 225 lbs. I prefer
to be a little lighter, but at 6'3", I can carry that weight pretty comfortable.

I realize that if I'm ever going to get into the 11-hour range, I will  have to get down to 205 lbs.
I'm  about 240 a couple days before the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment